Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Sometimes cuttlefish can be cuddly

When working with animals enough, you get to know the personalities of certain individuals, especially with animals like cephalopods which have large brains. I've come to like one little cuttlefish in particular who is always very curious about me. He's always willing to rise to the surface, and peer up at me; I can't help but wonder what is going on inside that brain. He even seems to like the attention and will tolerate my clumsy attempts at petting him- up to a point. You're probably wondering how you would go about petting a little cuttlefish which happens to be as long as your index finger. I basically just gently touch him with the tip of a finger, just barely touching him. You just can't do this with cuttlefish without them freaking out but this little guy doesn't seem to mind so much. In fact, he's even curious enough to reciprocate with his arms sometimes. I haven't given him a name yet and I don't know if I can as it will be hard to say goodbye when my internship is over, but I thought I would introduce you to this special little guy.



1 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a movie called "incredible suckers" (yeah, I know) in which the cuttlefish are so charming, I just want to put one in my pocket and take it home to snuggle. I adore how they squirt you with water and want to be "petted.!" I am so envious of your cephalopod expertise, Karena, Dr. Karena!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home